I used to be on a current twitter cruise chat and requested the cruise line consultant “do you have any solo cabins or will you waive the single supplement on any sailings” after which crickets. They go darkish and not interact with me. Ignoring a big a part of the journey group – the solo traveler (not the only traveler since you is usually a solo traveler and never be single) cruise strains proceed to go away piles of cash on the desk for my part. I wish to say “a cruise is a destination appetizer so you know if you want to return and explore deeper”. Cruises have execs/cons however for the solo traveler it’s an exquisite option to journey all over the world and see an excellent variety of locations in a single journey. Unpack as soon as, have the security to do as a lot or as little as you need. Be social or be anti-social – there are not any guidelines. If you wish to cruise solo, the large query is “Which Ships Have Solo Cabins”? I’ve tried my greatest to place collectively an inventory of ships and present solo cabin allocations. Word that the numbers can change however this can be a start line in your cruise analysis.
- 1 My Solo Cruise Holidays
- 2 Solo Cruise Observations
- 3 Cunard Cruise Strains Single Cabins
- 4 Royal Caribbean Solo Cabins
- 5 Movie star Cruises Edge Solo Cabin
- 6 Norwegian Cruise Strains – NCL Solo Studio Cabins
- 7 Holland America Line Solo Cabins
- 8 Costa Cruises Single Cabins
- 9 P&O Cruise Line Single Cabins
- 10 Fred Olsen Cruise Line Single Cabins
- 11 Luxurious & Small Ships – Single Dietary supplements Range
- 12 River Cruises – No Solo Cabins
- 13 No Solo Cabins – Charging Single Dietary supplements as much as 200%
- 14 Cruise Solo Across the World
My Solo Cruise Holidays
Whereas I’ve sailed solo on a number of cruise strains (Princess, Movie star, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Disney, Norwegian) and needed to pay the only complement for the cabin (begrudgingly) there was a some progress (albeit sluggish) within the cruise business so as to add single/solo cabins to some new ships and retrofit a couple of older ships when in dry dock. I’ve written my evaluate of the NCL Studio Cabin and Norwegian EPIC Solo Lounge based mostly on my transatlantic crusing Miami to Barcelona, I assumed it is perhaps good to know what different choices are on the market to sail in a solo cabin. Norwegian began with the solo cabins on NCL Epic in 2010 and but eight years later, I’m nonetheless speaking about modifications which might be wanted within the cruise business to deal with the solo traveler.
Thursday afternoon at Manly – many cruise ships sail to/from Sydney, Australia
Once I sailed on the Princess Emerald (no solo cabins) to the Baltics from Copenhagen, there was a 50% deal that made the only complement match my finances for an inside cabin however often solo vacationers are charged anyplace from 125-200% of the marketed per individual fee. I met a pair onboard that refused to spend any cash on the cruise whereas I booked a couple of cruise excursions, wine tasting, added wine to my meal, and so on. On the finish of the day, the cruise made extra money from me, the solo traveler, than the couple.
Solo Cruise Observations
- I applaud Cunard for recognizing the declining want for a photograph gallery and on line casino and reusing the area so as to add single cabins on the Queen Mary 2. Fifteen ocean view cabins is an excellent begin.
- I’m excited for the Superstar EDGE Single Verandah cabins however they’re so many classes above the bottom inside room that it may be priced out for me. It is going to be luxurious – however luxurious at a worth.
- It can save you cash with assured cabin which suggests the cruise line will assign your cabin. You possibly can’t select the cabin location. In the event you completely have to be mid-ship, a assured room isn’t for you.
- Repositioning cruises could be a implausible deal for solos – longer sea days and also you go from level A to level B
- Don’t be stunned when the only solo cabins are the primary to get bought out. On Norwegian Satisfaction of America which sails the Hawaiian Islands yr spherical, there are solely four solo cabins.
- If that is your first time cruising solo, it could be greatest to attach with a cruise specialist to assist match you with the fitting cruise line, ship and itinerary as a result of there’s a lot selection it turns into paralyzing to select
- Learn my Travel Solo Ideas and First Time Cruise Ideas and Cruise Finances Planner
Observe that the next is to the most effective of my information and the cruise strains can change at any time. Given the shifting goal of fares, promotions and such, I’ve not included pricing apart from the Queen Mary 2 crusing in November since that’s just about set.
Usually thought-about “American Cruise Lines” given the general make up of the cruise ship passengers skews American visitors besides within the Asian market. For these of us within the U.S., these are the main cruise gamers in advertisments, promotions and social media.
Cunard Cruise Strains Single Cabins
The posh Cunard ship line just lately added 15 single cabins to the Queen Mary 2 when the ship was renovated in dry dock. The class code is KB and KC and situated mid-ship on deck 2 and deck three as the world was the Photograph Gallery and a part of a on line casino (each going out of favor for my part) so the cabins have home windows! The cabins have a twin mattress and are between 159-162 sq. ft. Cunard lately added solo cabins, Britannia Single Staterooms to the opposite ships of their fleet. Cunard do transatlantic sailings to/from New York and Southampton, England in addition to intensive itineraries which are a month or longer. The ships are luxurious, skew older demographic and have a Canyon Ranch Spa onboard.
Current pricing for a New York to Southampton, England crossing of seven days have been $1,586 in November vs. $699 per individual for inside cabin (single complement fare is $1,398) plus taxes/charges. So you’re paying a bit extra for much less area however for a window view of the water. In case you have factors for a a method flight to New York or London, this can be a good, leisurely method to return residence.
- Cunard Queen Mary 2 – 15 Ocean view (twin mattress) solo single cabins
- Cunard Queen Elizabeth – eight outdoors / 1 inside solo cabin
- Cunard Queen Victoria – eight outdoors / 1 inside solo cabin
Unsure you want the viewing platform to see the New York Metropolis skyline from Brooklyn however on a Cunard Cruise Transatlantic New York to London you’ll have a singular view from the ship
Royal Caribbean Solo Cabins
The Venice canal view from the San Marco condo
The most recent ships within the Royal Caribbean fleet, Ovation of the Seas and Quantum of the Seas supply inside (with digital view) and ocean view choices for solo cabins with area of 101-119 sq. ft. and full measurement beds whereas others supply twin mattress within the smaller area on their different ships. The balcony class is probably the most fascinating to me because the different ships are all inside cabins. A brand new function is the digital balcony view on the inside rooms of some ships.
- Anthem of the Seas – Inside (full mattress) 14 solo cabins / Ocean view 12 solo Cabins
- Journey of the Seas – Inside (twin mattress) 5 solo cabins
- Brilliance of the Seas – Inside (twin mattress) three solo cabins
- Concord of the Seas – Inside (full mattress) three solo cabins / Ocean view 12 solo cabins (common 96 sq. ft.)
- Jewel of the Seas – Inside (twin mattress) three solo cabins
- Mariner of the Seas – Inside (twin mattress) 2 solo cabins
- Ovation of the Seas – Inside (full mattress) 16 solo cabins / Ocean view 12 solo cabins
- Quantum of the Seas – Inside (full mattress) 16 solo cabins / Ocean view 12 solo cabins
- Radiance of the Seas – Inside (twin mattress) three solo cabins
- Serenade of the Seas – Inside (twin mattress) three solo cabins
There are not any suites for solo passengers so that you would wish to e-book that on the 200% single complement as you’d with different cabin classes of curiosity that present more room. Truthfully, you could sleep and bathe in your cabin in my expertise so the area doesn’t must be that a lot for an added value. Notice that single complement funds will provide you with 2x Crown & Anchor loyalty factors whereas reserving a solo cabin will solely offer you 1x so in case you are eager to maneuver up within the elite ranges this could be a consideration for which cabin to e-book. Additionally, typically given the offers at hand, the common room with single complement may typically value much less. So do your analysis and if wanted attain out to a cruise specialist when you can’t discover the solo cabins on-line to ebook. They do promote out shortly.
Movie star Cruises Edge Solo Cabin
If there’s one addition I’m excited for it’s the Movie star Edge ship, debuting in December 2018, with 16 Edge Verandah solo cabins. The class code is far greater than the traditional inside cabin be warned as they’re verandah (balcony) degree. Situated on ahead deck 6, there are 16 solo cabins that look fabulous (new cruise ship odor and design). With roughly 142 sq. ft. which incorporates balcony, these might be an indulgence for the posh solo traveler.
Movie star is a favourite line due to the wellness spa menus, leisure and self-service wine kiosks – sadly they don’t supply solo cabins on their different ships. I sailed solo on the Movie star Constellation “Connie” from Istanbul to go to Turkey and the Greek Islands. It was a implausible first cruise on Superstar.
The Superstar cruise from Istanbul to the Greek Isles and Turkey
Norwegian Cruise Strains – NCL Solo Studio Cabins
Solo Studio Cabin on Norwegian Bliss – simply sufficient area to loosen up and sleep because you’ll be busy elsewhere having enjoyable (photograph: NCL)
Norwegian Solo Studio Cabin wins the award for innovation within the solo traveler area. The studio cabins are inside rooms of 100 sq. ft. with a double mattress! Not a twin mattress. The cabins are usually over two decks and related with an inside stairway and solo lounge with a bar, merchandising machines, espresso space, televisions and front room to work or loosen up in. There’s a purpose these studio cabins promote out so shortly – they’re very nice and supply a pleasing journey. For the only traveler, the group touring that every need their very own cabin or for the multi-era household that has grand mother, aunt or uncle touring that don’t need to share a cabin (my mother snores so we every get our personal cabin).
- Norwegian Epic – 128 solo studio cabins
- Norwegian Breakaway – 59 solo studio cabins
- Norwegian Getaway – 59 solo studio cabins
- Norwegian Escape – 82 solo studio cabins
- Norwegian Bliss – 82 solo studio cabins
- Norwegian Satisfaction of America – four solo cabins
The class is Studio. Norwegian has even added solo cabins to their Hawaiian cruise, Satisfaction of America, which sails yr spherical. There are solely 4 cabins however in case you are eager to go to Hawaii and the Hawaiian islands now you possibly can. Word that relying on the specials and offers, the studio choice may cost greater than the only complement in an inside room class. Studio Lounge entry is included within the Studio reserving and people not within the Studios can go to the lounge throughout Solo Pleased Hours.
Holland America Line Solo Cabins
The most recent ship, debuting in December 2018, Nieuw Statendam solo cabins might be ocean view and artfully impressed. With solely twelve single cabins, it should in all probability be the primary to promote out. Holland America has an older demographic crusing so will probably be fascinating to see how these solo cabins do with older or youthful vacationers particularly on a cruise to Alaska. The typical area is bigger than most at 127-172 sq. ft. however have a twin mattress. I favored that on Holland America every cabin will get an opulent gown to make use of in addition to a every day fruit basket (you’ll be able to select your fruit from the record or ask the room attendant for a fruit not on the record).
- Holland America Koningsdam – 12 Ocean view (twin mattress) solo cabins
- Holland America Nieuw Statendam – 12 Ocean view (twin mattress) solo cabins
- Holland America Prinsendam – 2 Ocean view / 1 inside solo cabins
Glacier Bay viewing – I used to be on the particular deck above the primary deck for a extra personal view on the Holland America cruise to Alaska
Usually these European Cruise Strains focus their itineraries on nearly all of their resident passengers hailing from native European nations. That isn’t to say there aren’t People on board however not many because the promoting, offers and social are focused to the EU nations.
Costa Cruises Single Cabins
Cruise ship desserts are all the time a favourite deal with on the cruise
Costa Cruises, the Italian ship line, owned by Carnival Cruise strains, provides roomy solo cabins of 130-160 sq. ft. on eight of its fourteen ships – the quantity ranges from 6 to 21 solo cabins (inside and oceanview with twin mattress) relying on the ship. The Costa Diadema has single cabins with additional perks out there to friends. I’m not that conversant in Costa as I’ve not sailed them but however as an Italian ship, I’ve to assume that the meals onboard is superb.
- Costa Diadema – 21 solo cabins
- Costa Fascinosa – 17 solo cabins
- Costa Favolosa – 17 solo cabins
- Costa Pacifica – 17 solo cabins
- Costa Serena – 17 solo cabins
- Costa Magica -14 solo cabins
- Costa Fortuna -14 solo cabins
- Costa neoRomantica – 6 solo cabins
P&O Cruise Line Single Cabins
P&O ships, owned by Carnival Cruise strains, of which there are about seven presently, three are adults solely, are British based mostly ships providing trendy British cruises. They provide P&O single cabins on their ships and the passengers are usually European. Their itineraries are sometimes longer to accommodate the vacation schedules of their visitors (sadly American’s have fewer trip days therefore our three-5-7 day sailings).
- P&O Azura – 12 outdoors solo cabins / 6 solo inside
- P&O Arcadia – 2 outdoors solo cabins / four inside solo
- P&O Aurora – four outdoors solo cabins
- P&O Britannia – 15 solo balcony cabins / 12 solo inside
- P&O Oriana – 2 inside solo cabins
- P&O Ventura – 12 outdoors solo cabins / 6 solo inside
View of Tower Bride and HMS Belfast in London from the Thames River Boat – solely smaller cruise ships can sail underneath Tower Bridge on the Thames
Fred Olsen Cruise Line Single Cabins
Fred Olsen Cruise is a UK based mostly firm that has provided solo cabins since their founding in 1988. With solely 4 ships of their fleet, they’ve almost 200 solo cabins throughout the 4 ships every providing a twin mattress.
- Fred Olsen Braemar 40 single-occupancy cabins
- Fred Olsen Balmoral 64 single solo cabins
- Fred Olsen Black Watch – 43 single solo cabins
- Fred Olsen Boudicca – 43 single solo cabins
The White Tower on the Tower of London
Luxurious & Small Ships – Single Dietary supplements Range
Whereas the ships don’t supply single solo cabins, they could supply decrease single complement or probably waive the only complement relying on the itinerary and promotion in place. These small ships are fairly luxurious within the facilities provided and included options within the worth. In contrast to the mass market ships, they could supply drinks, sightseeing or personal eating places included within the promotion.
- Seabourn – usually 175%
- Crystal – varies 130-200%, supply single events and nonetheless have gents hosts (provides you an concept of the age group onboard)
- Silverseas – usually 125-175%
- Oceania (varies)
- Ponant (varies and does waive single complement on some sailings)
- Windstar (varies)
- Azarmara (varies)
River Cruises – No Solo Cabins
River cruises are a little bit of a combined bag of ships and configurations. A number of strains will waive the only complement on sure sailings and supply you a similar measurement room as the essential cabin. Analysis accordingly relying on the itinerary, ship measurement and your price range.
- Regent Seven Seas
- Emerald Waterways
- Tauck River Cruises
- U by Uniworld
No Solo Cabins – Charging Single Dietary supplements as much as 200%
- Carnival Cruise Line – the enjoyable cruise is not any enjoyable paying 200% solo
- Princess Cruise Strains – nice itineraries, fantastic meals, beverage and leisure but no solo cabins
- Disney Cruise Strains – its a disgrace that Disney doesn’t have solo cabins to acknowledge the multi-generational households which might be crusing with them. Solo Aunts, Uncles and Grandparents pay 200% for a cabin until you possibly can cut up the household up to economize.
- Paul Gaugin – French Polynesia in luxurious
Goofy Enjoyable in port with Disney Cruise Line – Disney doesn’t supply solo cabins which is a disgrace for multi-era households touring collectively
Cruise Solo Across the World
So hopefully in the event you have been contemplating touring solo on a cruise, this can be a useful listing. Whereas the cruise strains are slowing (very slowly) including solo cabins or a little bit of consideration to this lengthy uncared for group, don’t anticipate the onboard to have greater than the one or two “single meetups” which is, in my expertise, a free drink with ship crew and some different solo vacationers. Solely NCL does the Solo Lounge meetups proper for now. In case you are eager to satisfy individuals onboard, I recommend utilizing Cruise Critic roll name boards and cruise crusing Fb Teams to satisfy forward of time, join group excursions and luxuriate in drinks at sailaway. On board, relatively than a set eating desk every night time, I love to do “anytime dining” and be seated on the communal desk. Each night time, you’ll be able to meet a brand new group of individuals to share tales with and if fortunate, like me, make new cruise associates that you simply’ll sail with sooner or later.
The Spice Market in Istanbul – certainly one of many cruise itineraries ports to discover Turkey and Greece
Let me know when you’ve got sailed in a solo cabin with any of the above cruise strains and the way it was. Would you pay the only complement if the cabin was bigger and extra facilities (or factors) have been included? What’s your dream crusing itinerary?